Sunday 8 March 2015

Pretending I'm a Teen from the Year I was Born


(Warning, lots of writing. Trying to capture this moment and mindset for the future)

Hola my friends,

Long time no chat. Lots and lots is going on over here for 17 year old Erica. Which is why I haven't posted.

Quick recap:

-Started Grade 12 in September
-Math is horrid but I have to take it, barely getting through but it's the only class I have work in
-Ended grade 12 Accounting with a 92%
-My heart is torn between going to school for acting or accounting next year, but with all the support and research I've done, I'm going to school for accounting but will do whatever I can to act while doing it
-My dream of being an actress has not changed since I was 3 and is still burning a fire in my heart
-I started a Musical Theatre program at Randolph where I was reunited with ALL of my old acting/singing/dancing teachers of my childhood (Barb, Cara, Suzy and now a new addition who is best friends with Barb and Suzy, Anika)
-I have the best time of my life every Sunday at rehearsals
-I went to New York City in the Fall (I KNOW! I. KNOW. Who would have thought?)
-The day the plane landed back in Toronto, I immediately started planning my next trip to NYC next Fall
-I have almost paid for my trip to NYC
-I have become a very successful babysitter which has also kept me very busy
-I have been sick all Winter
-It went below -40 degrees in Toronto this Winter...and I hated it...
-I've designed the invitations to my 17th Birthday Luau in June... They look awesome!
-I've started a cake decorating class and it's going really well (I'll post pictures below)
-Within the past week, I've become ridiculously obsessed with the Spice Girls

Now you know what the title of this post is all about.

Yes....You heard it right my friends. I am beyond obsessed with these 5 girls who are all between the ages of 39-42 today but were between the ages of 21-24 when they were popular (more or less)....Not to mention their movie came out three days before my birthday in 1997.



Just a little bit late on the bandwagon but you know what, I don't care. My parents, co-workers at co-op, and friends think I'm crazy, but I am enjoying myself way too much to be ashamed or held back. GIRL POWER!!!

Fun story: My cousin was OBSESSED with the Spice Girls (and probably still is honestly) around the age of 4...I don't know. All I know is that we would go to Hamilton every weekend or every other weekend and there Callie would be. Sitting in front of the TV, the VHS of Spice World playing. And it would play another 5 times throughout the day, and then the next. And repeat every weekend that I went up there for a very long period of time.

I had no interest in them. This is now the second band that I wasn't into and then became extremely obsessed seemingly over night (The Jonas Brothers was the other one).

It started off when I was around 9, Jenna had gotten their Greatest Hits CD for her birthday or something. We went skiing, it was playing, I liked 4 songs.

And since I was 9, those were the only 4 songs I've liked.

Remember my acting teachers I've told you about? The ones who've taught me since I was 6? Well...Turns out, they're in a Spice Girls tribute band. Mhm...this sparked the Spice Girls interest in me this year. Their band is called Wannabe: The Spice Girls Tribute Band.

They're very good! Is it funny seeing my teachers perform in a Spice Girls Tribute band? Absolutely. And now, I can't wait until I'm 19 and go see one of their shows... And Callie will be coming with me!

Here's a video of their awesomeness.


They started my obsession and I'm forever grateful.

So last week, a group of my friends at Randolph decided to name our group chat Spice Girls and then, naturally, we assigned ourselves to a Spice Girl and that's our nickname for each other. There was 5 of us in the chat after all (and I genuinely like everyone in my musical theatre class, I had just taken pictures of these 4 girls and it evolved from there). Baby Spice is Henna, Scary Spice is Robyn, Sporty Spice is Skye, Posh Spice is Sarah...And I am Ginger Spice!

How I chose Ginger Spice: "I don't know much about the Spice Girls...But I'm not Sporty (There is a Spice Girl named Sporty right?) so not her. I've always wanted to be a Ginger, so I'll be Ginger Spice!"

Yes, Erica, there is a Spice Girl named Sporty. And soon, you will know EVERYTHING about all of them and Sporty will become your favourite. Just you wait. I photoshopped our faces onto the picture in our new roles.

Now I can't stop laughing.

I was late to rehearsal this week, cookies take time to bake for a class! When I walked in, the first thing I heard was. 
"OH LOOK IT'S GINGER! Welcome Ginger Spice! Or well, Ginger Junior." No, my friends/cast mates/fellow Spice Girls didn't say this to me. My teachers said this to me. I stared at them. I didn't know what was happening, why were they calling me that? I felt like a star but...what the heck?

"We showed them the picture!" Skye told me. Oh. Makes sense now. I feel like I must have blushed but the secret is out now so I admitted to my hard core obsession and all class I had 2 Become 1 stuck in my head.

Remember those 4 songs? Yeah, the next week, all I did was listen to those 4 songs. They went from a play count of 16-20 to 100-121. Soon, I could sing all of Wannabe, Stop, Say You'll be There, and Spice Up Your Life. I was innocently search Youtube for some music videos when I came across this little gem: 



At first, I laughed...and then I was hypnotized by their electric energy and their brilliant concert. I sat there watching the whole thing, no distractions (which if you know me is very hard for me to do). It was so 90's. Just like that, the Spice Girls became one of the only things on my mind for the next 7 days and counting.

Sporty Spice (Mel C) is my favourite,


 
Like look at this cool cat! Her voice is to die for, she's so entertaining to watch, and she said this wonderful quote "It's about the shape you're in, not the shape you are" that really speaks to me right now.

Then Ginger Spice (Geri, who has the best outfits in my humble opinion)

Gorgeous, ginger lady wearing sparkly red and a crown that reminds me of the Statue of Liberty... YES PLEASE! Sounds exactly like everything I like in one place. 

Baby Spice is next (Emma, everyone that I know, including die-hard fan, Callie, likes Baby Spice the best and I can see why. Just so happens one of my future daughters is probably going to end up having the same name as her, and I couldn't be happier!),
 
Sporty and Baby seem to be the closest today so that's really good that my cousin's favourite and my favourite are still super close!

Scary Spice (Mel B) always rocks it with her cool vibe and killer voice,



Her singing and speaking voice is just awesome!

And last but certainly not least, Posh Spice herself Victoria (who is the mother to the most gorgeous boys I've ever seen besides Nick J, Darren Criss, and Jonathan Groff).
 
Yeah, I found pictures of her smiling! "I'm just too posh," -Mel C from Spice World. 

Although I have an order of favourites, I love ALL OF THEM!


After that video played, it automatically played this documentary:


Hooked. I was hooked. I've seen every music video, a concert from each of their tours, I watched the movie a couple nights ago, laughed so hard, and got even more invested. I needed their stuff. Like now. Their Istanbul concert was fantastic too!



All of them are fantastic singers and have such unique and fun personalities! I was happy I was assigned Ginger Spice. She's the one that I'd like to be the most out of the group (besides my favourite being Mel C), I love her outfits, and she has the closest body type to me. I want to be a ginger more than ever before now.

I love all the songs in their concerts and soon, those 4 songs were not satisfactory any more. I ran out yesterday and bought 3 of their CDS (Spice, Spice World, and Greatest Hits) and their movie. Now I can drive my parents even more insane!!

Hi, I'm Erica...and...I'm a Spice Girls addict and loving every girl power hour of it.

Honestly, I think just the fact that I have new music to listen to that I've never heard before is what got me going the most. But they're so up my alley.

Favourite songs (in no particular order because I haven't really decided on a favourite)(I also refuse to listen to their album without Ginger so):
2 Become 1
Mama
Who Do You Think You Are
Move Over
Too Much
Viva Forever
Wannabe (childhood favourite)
Say You'll Be There (my dad's favourite and the only he song he likes)
Spice Up Your Life
Stop (I know the whole dance and do it everywhere including on the TTC)
Saturday Night Divas
Never Give Up on the Good Times
Move Over
Do It
Denying
The Lady is a Vamp
Love Thing
Last Time Lover (towards the bottom of my list but still good!)
Something Kinda Funny
Naked
If U Can't Dance

I'm also currently working on learning Stop easy piano. It's pretty good so far, my keyboard is just in front of my computer right now so I can read the sheet music because my printer STILL isn't working...GRR!!

Buzzfeed has put together their list of favourites which I don't necessarily agree with but, in case you've forgotten their songs it's all in one place. As well, if you're like me and wondering who sings what in their songs, take a look here. (Me: OH GERI SINGS THAT!? I knew that was Sporty's voice! Aww Emma...You go girl! WOO POSH! No idea that was you... Of course that was Mel B.)

Now Here are some of MY Spice Girls


Robyn, Henna, Skye, and Sarah!
 I love this photo of Skye (aka fellow Mirfanda) and I


Our version of our photoshopped photo taken today.

More Randolph photos coming soon!!

Now, onto my cake decorating class:
Purple was the second try, white and pink the first. I can finally do roses!



Pretty good for my very first time! I learned a lot doing this cake so 'sall good!

Working on writing and covering the cake. Pretty good for a first time, right?


The past two weeks I have given up excess sugar (except for a bite here and there) and have noticed an incredible change in my body and appetite. Not that I ate very much before, now I eat even less! Any one know if sugar and appetite have a connection? This week I add Pilates (grr....) as recommended by my musical theatre teachers. And of course, my new found love of jumping on my personal exercise trampoline...while listening to the Spice Girls.

That's it for now. Time to go watch Spice World for the 5th time. Talk to you soon! Post about New York coming soon :)

Wish it. Dream it. DO IT!

P.S. any photo related to Spice Girls or Wannabe, I do not own. I just kind of came across the photos and credit is needed to the rightful owner, whoever they are. Thank you for the amazing photos, my post is now totally Spice-tastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment